- SmartShift is a technology enabled platform that connects cargo owners and transporters for on-demand logistics requirements
- Since its launch in October 2015 it has garnered over 16,000 stakeholders and clocks approximately 1500 transactions every day
- Currently operational across Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad and now launching operations in Chennai
- Aims to add value to 1 million stakeholders in 3 years
SmartShift by Mahindra, an on-demand logistics provider, is the first digital mobility start-up incubated under the aegis of the USD 19 billion Mahindra Group. It specializes in providing small commercial vehicles for intra-city first and last-mile requirements. With its intuitive reverse auctioning technology platform and real-time ability to track vehicles, SmartShift aims to make daily logistics requirements of SMEs at least 30% more efficient. For the transporter partners, the first-in-industry feature phone integration, efficient pricing through return trips and focus on community building helps it in disrupting the highly inefficient incumbent ecosystem. Driven by the ambitious goal of owning cargo transportation in the country, SmartShift currently services more than 1000 pin codes in 4 cities.
SmartShift, the digital mobility start-up from the US$ 19 billion Mahindra Group, announced on 3rd of August, the launch of its operations in Chennai, its fifth city after successful launches in Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru and Ahmedabad. Aimed at enabling efficiencies in the last mile logistics space, SmartShift acts as a platform for cargo owners and transporters to work with each other, ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship.
SmartShift is an intra-city digital load exchange platform for cargo owners and transporters, enabling them to efficiently transport cargo from point A to point B. Cargo owners (both businesses and individual users) can access the SmartShift service through a world class mobile app (available on Android), the website or the dedicated call centre. The key differentiator that SmartShift brings to this space is the feature of “Reverse Bidding”. This implies that the app successfully emulates the bargaining process between cargo owners and transporters, allowing them to close the deal at a mutually acceptable price.
Speaking at the launch of SmartShift in Chennai, Kausalya Nandakumar, CEO, SmartShift, said, “We are delighted to enter the state of Tamil Nadu by launching our operations in one of its largest cities, Chennai. Chennai is in many ways the gateway into the largest state with respect to SCV penetration. Tamil Nadu is a very evolved and penetrated market with a strong industrial base. We believe this market has the both the need and digital presence to adopt a market place model like ours and are confident that we will drive exponential value in this market.”
Ms. Nandakumar further added, “According to a report, the logistics industry in India is pegged at $130 billion with 35%-40% of it being in the intra-city space. It is also estimated that 18 lakh small commercial vehicles complete millions of transactions daily, across the country. Going ahead we will not only focus on enabling improved business productivity for our customers but shall continually nurture customer relationships, moving beyond mere transactional business.”
SmartShift by Mahindra offers transparent pricing, an efficient simple one-click booking process and the ability to track cargo after dispatch. As one of the biggest players in the CV industry, Mahindra understands and recognises this ecosystem and its dynamics. As the first intrapreneurial start-up incubated within the Mahindra Group, SmartShift combines the process, governance and discipline of a large mature business with the tenacity, nimbleness and fierce competitiveness of a start-up. The young team strongly leverages the multi-disciplinary mentorship of the Mahindra Group and unmatched privileged access to 150 Mahindra group companies, working as a seamless logistics solution partner in the ‘One Mahindra’ ecosystem.
The unique SmartShift service allows cargo owners to:
- Book a vehicle in less than 3 minutes
- Negotiate the best price through a unique first of its kind “BID” feature
- Choose from a range of certified and trained SmartShifters
- Track the selected SmartShifter to ensure that his consignment is delivered safely and securely
Simultaneously, the SmartShift service allows cargo transporters to:
- Get more business through faster and easier order taking technology
- Get the option of accepting or declining a delivery request based on pricing or the availability of vehicles
- Get the opportunity to explore and expand to other markets
- Look forward to a higher earning potential