- For the first time in its history, the Irizar has won one of the most prestigious European awards.
- The Irizar i8 bus has been nominated as the Best Coach of the Year in Europe.
A jury of specialist journalists from the most prestigious magazines in the sector in 22 European countries has decided to award the prize to Irizar I8 for its countless attributes and the high added value it offers. The award recognises the great strategic leap taken by Irizar in recent years, to position itself as one of the best independent European manufacturers (OEM).
The Irizar i8 is a thoughtful combination of design, technology and sustainability that offers exceptional comfort to the driver, guide and passengers and confers prestige on its owners. It is also the maximum expression of quality, safety, profitability, robustness and reliability in a sector in which its strong personality and visual impact stand out.
The exceptional performance and response of the vehicle during the Euro Coach braking and acceleration tests and the open road driving tests on a mixed 30 km route between dual carriageway and secondary road have given Irizar i8 a victory.
It should be mentioned that this first position is even more meritorious given that the vehicle submitted was a 3-axle, 14-metre version and was competing with three other 12 m, 2 axle vehicles – which are significantly lighter.
There are some reasons that must be highlighted that have led it to the podium. Its exterior and interior design, and its unbeatable breaking behaviour and turning circle. The environmental considerations are very positive in relation to the maximum vehicle capacity, reduced energy consumption and minimal levels of vibration and noise, even on sharp bends.
Regarding technology, the dashboard is a benchmark, multiplexing keys and offering a HMI for the first time as standard. With regards to safety: FULL LED headlights, pioneering systems such as AEBS, LDW, TPTMS, ACC and DFT as options. In addition, it meets R 66.02 – European Specification for rollover test.” In the section on total costs, taking into account the purchase price, depreciation and residual value, consumption and repair and maintenance costs make the i8 a benchmark”.
Pioneering safety systems such as are available and made it a strong contender.
- EBS (Electronic Braking System)
- ECAS (Electronic Control Air Suspension)
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control)
- ASR (Anti Slip Regulation)
- R/66.02 Anti roll-over regulation
- TPMS (Tyre Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System)
- Reverse camera and sensors
- Rain and light sensors for automatic activation
- ACC (Adaptative Cruise Control)
- LDW (Lane Departure Warning)
- GPS Navigator
- PCC (Predictive Cruise Control)
- PSC (Predictive Shift Control)
Candidates for the Award
For the first time in history, Sweden has hosted the Coach Euro Test trials. Specifically, the city of Lingkoping, 240 kilometres south of Stockholm, hosted the test, where six participating coaches were brought together for the latest edition:
- Irizar i8 integral,
- Iveco Bus Evadys,
- Mercedes-Benz Tourismo,
- Neoplan Tourliner,
- Scania Interlink HD
- VDL Futura FDD2-141 double decker.